The “preview” of Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 7 has been available for months, and it looks like we are approaching an RTM (Release To Manufacturing) soon.
Windows Small Business Server 7 is a total refresh of the Small Business Server 2008 which was built around Microsoft Server 2008 and Microsoft Exchange 2007.
SBS 7 is built around Microsoft Server 2008 R2 and Microsoft Exchange 2010, and is destined to be named “Microsoft Small Business Server 2011”. Microsoft has stated it will come in two popular flavors:
Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials
- Ideal first server for small businesses with 25 users or less.
- Allows you to backup every computer and server on the network, and to restore individual files, folders or an entire PC or server with provided disaster recovery tools.
- Provides remote access to important information from virtually anywhere. Access computers and documents via the web.
- It is a gateway to cloud services as well, paving the way for the future of Software as a Service (SaaS).
Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard
- Complete On-Premise Solution for businesses with up to 75 users.
- Enterprise-class technology in an affordable, all-in-one suite.
- Automatic backup of data
- Centralized patch / update management.
- Provides fast and secure remote access to files, email and more via a web browser.
Windows Small Business Server 2011 will likely be the product that we sell the most of as it fits the needs of our average client, but the Essentials version will be attractive to the small business moving from a peer-to-peer network to a server-centric solution that can provide the security they require without breaking the bank.
SBS 2011 will be secure, efficient and flexible just like the current SBS 2008, but with all the latest bells and whistles!
For those interested in seeing the software first-hand, the preview versions are still available HERE…
Considering a server deployment in the coming year? Windows Small Business Server 2011 may fit the bill. Please call us at 864.990.4748 or email email@example.com for a free consultation in the Greenville / Upstate SC area. We provide full computer, server & network support, service, repair, sales & consultation!